Friday, July 31, 2009

I Read A Book! Yay Me!

The Time Traveler's Wife wasn't on my list of books to read this year. I chose a bunch of classics to read because I've always wanted to be one of those well read people who has read all the "important" books. But, I'm not a bibliophile and so up until now, I've only finished ONE book. Sad.

Anyway, I saw the previews for the movie they made based on this book and I thought it sounded very interesting. But also, it seems like one of those stories that they can't help but ruin by translating into a movie. So, I borrowed it from the library and gobbled up all 536 pages in a little less than three days.

It wasn't confusing at all and the author provided a steady supply of mysteries that made it difficult for me to put it down. What did Helen say to Henry on his wedding day? What's the deal with Gomez? What happens when Henry is 43? And poor Clare. Will she ever be able to keep Henry?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, but now that I've read the book and am even more convinced that a screenplay could never do the book justice, I'm mostly curious to see how badly they have screwed it up.

Next, I really should finish the 800-plus page An American Tragedy which I've been nursing for almost two years now. I think I only have about 200 pages left. It would be a shame to give it up now.

No comments: