Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fish and TV

When Caleb goes with me to Whole Foods, he always asks to see the fishies. He refers to the free standing cart where they keep whole fishes on ice. He loves looking at them for some reason and always wants to touch them (but I don't let him). The other day, I decided to be spontaneous and buy a whole spanish mackerel. I can't tell you how excited Caleb was about all of this. He even got to touch it. After the fish guy cleaned it and wrapped it, Caleb insisted on carrying it. We had this conversation on the way home...

C: Can I touch it and watch TV?

Me: Um. What?

C: Can I touch it and watch TV??!!!

Me: You mean you want to hold it while you watch TV?

C: Yeah, that would be good Mommy! Can I?

Me: Um. I don't think that would be a good idea.

C: But WHY Mommy????!!!!!

And so I preceded to explain why it's not a good idea to hold the fish while watching TV but reassured him that I'd open it up on the kitchen counter and he could touch it to his heart's content. He was satisfied with this. Thank goodness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. thats so funny!!! i wonder where caleb gets that from? the mommy who use to pick threw all the manini dad and uncle aaron use to cook on da grill. like mother like son i guess.

Kainoa said...

EWWWW...Caleb likes to touch fish!!! That story is SO darn funny though! Derrek and I had a great laugh as you can see cause he even left you a comment!!! What did you make with the fish???? Did Caleb like it??

Kainoa said...

Maybe you should get Caleb some real fish since he seems to like fish so much,or is it just he likes the dead ones he can touch?

Kainoa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i was really proud actually that he was so interested in the fish, because i *know* he gets it from me :) he actually was not interested in it though after i cooked it. he kept asking me over and over why i cooked it. i just fried it with salt and pepper. it was nearly as oily and good as the saba i was obsessed with from Shirokiya. i wonder if it's a different kind of mackerel.

Joanna said...

LOL, that's a good one.

Kainoa said...

That is SO FUNNY that Caleb asked you why you cooked it. Sounds like my kind of kid, not wanting to eat fish...EEEWWWW. Thats just me....It was a great experience for Caleb though. Whole foods is opening here soon and I cannot wait to go, I'm sure it's overpriced but I will have to go there and see all they have. I think it's great they clean the fish for you and wrap it all up, not that I will buying fish *EVER*! Still a great idea!