Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year's Goals

When Shane and I got married, I thought it was a great idea to start a New Year's goal journal. Every year we would right down some goals and at the end of the year we would right down our accomplishments. I thought it would be an interesting way to track how we grow and change. But Shane wasn't interested. Until seven years later that is. That was last New Year's that he said he thought it was a great idea. But at that point, I wasn't interested. Maybe it was because I was so annoyed that it took him seven years to like the idea or maybe it was because I wasn't all that excited about my goals at the time. After all, the biggest thing on my mind a year ago, was how in the heck I'd find the time and motivation to pass the CPA exam. It would have been a great goal to add to the book, but I think I knew deep down that I couldn't put Caleb aside long enough to regain all that knowledge I needed to pass.

But this year, I feel a little more motivated and excited to finally start our Family New Year's Goal book. I think it'll be even better with Caleb. We won't write goals for him, but we can write down his accomplishments. Maybe when he gets a little older he will get a little excited about coming up with goals and then feeling so proud when, at the end of the year, he has accomplished them.

So, here are my goals for 2009...

1. Read more books
  • The Story of the World, Parts 1, 2 and 3 (Susan Wise Bauer)
  • Don Quixote (Miguel De Cervantes)
  • The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)
  • Gulliver's Travels (Jonathan Swift)
  • Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austin)
  • Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens)
  • Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
  • The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
  • The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)
  • The Good German (Joseph Kanon)
2. Finish all unfinished knitting projects
  • Rowan Intrigue sweater (Book 36)
  • Rowan Petersburg cardigan vest (Book 42)
  • Habu Nanako jacket (kit 67)
  • Debbie Bliss Check and Cross Stitch Jacket (Special Knits)
  • Blue striped child's sweater (my design)
I'll put up a more detailed post of the projects separately.

3. Save up enough money to buy a serger
4. Finish Rosetta Stone Latin course
5. Finish Caleb's baby book
6. Make handmade gifts for Christmas

4 comments:

Kainoa said...

I think that is a great idea! Caleb's accomplishments are a great thing to list too! It is amazing to think that how we felt at the first of the year is not how we felt at the end. I am just glad Derrek and I both have jobs and can pay our bills on time. I want this new year 2009 to bring me out of my procrastinating stage. I am so mad at myself sometimes and I manage to get myself into a pickle because of it! Ok, I am rambling, but I just wanted to tell you I love your idea, maybe we should do something like this. How do you remember where you wrote it down though?

Unknown said...

I got a planner from Franklin Covey. You can find it here. I'm usually terrible about using planners but I'm hoping this will work well for me. I plan to use it for my cleaning chores and planning meals. I can easily just leave this on the counter and mark off things when I'm done. In the back, I wrote down all my New Year's goals. I can cross them off as I accomplish them. I think the thing about setting goals is to make sure they are measurable.

I think it's also so crazy how much you can change in one year. So much can happen.

I think it would be so much fun if you posted about some things you really want to accomplish this year. That way, when you finish them, you can post about it and I can say "You go girl! Good job!"

Joanna said...

So you're finally going to finish reading Pride and Prejudice, eh? Good for you! I may have to read it again while nursing, nuring, nursing. I like your list. I wish I would read more, too. Who has time though? Maybe I shoud looke into audio books. I don't know when I would ever listen to them.

Johanna said...

That is quite an ambitious list! It's a great idea to make goals for each year, though. Otherwise the whole year is gone before you know it and nothing changed.