Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Monterey Update

Shane booked his trip to San Diego yesterday and he'll be flying out tomorrow (Wednesday) and coming back the next day. He'll meet with his new team and sign all the official paperwork. At that point, HR will get involved and assign him a relocation assistant, who will help us set up the pick-up of our stuff. I'm hoping that we'll have a pick-up date (for late next week or early the following) at the end of this week. I was really dreading packing the apartment up when we were just moving locally. I was complaining/whining to Shane about how I'm going to be so huge by the time I have to pack everything up and unpack. Whahhhhhhh!!! But, now I'm so excited to pack up! Poor Shane. I'm so lucky I found a great guy to put up with me :)

The only thing that I'm somewhat concerned about... but then again, I'm pretty sure it'll work out just fine... is that I'm at the point where I have appointments every two weeks. I have an appointment next week Tuesday, which will be my last here in Virginia. The nearest Kaiser office to Monterey is in Gilroy, about a 45 minutes drive. But, it's better than not having Kaiser nearby at all and having to switch medical insurance this late in the pregnancy. That's going to be an awful drive when I'm in labor though :0 But, the really fantastic thing is that my mom will be there to help! How awesome it will be to have family around! And Derrek and Kainoa (my brother and sister-in-law) will be able to see the baby a few days (or hours!) old! I can't wait!

Shane and I counted how many leads we had gone through. First there was Monterey, then San Jose, San Diego, San Jose again, Okinawa, Pt. Mugu and then finally this job in Monterey. I hadn't been writing about this because I was really going mental about it all. But, you see, after six disappointments, I had really convinced myself that giving up was the best and most sane thing to do. I remember telling Shane that if it was meant to be, it wouldn't be so hard. But, really, there are some good things that I learned out of all of this. I learned that I am *really* impatient. It's funny that I never knew this about myself, but I really never thought of myself that way. The good thing is that Shane is more cautious about making rash decisions. If he had listened to me, he would have officially given up the search about a month ago. But, he didn't and that's why I'm so lucky to have him. Also, I learned that I need to trust my gut better. I *knew* we belonged in California! I just knew it! I knew our kids wouldn't grow up on the East Coast. But, I tried to convince myself otherwise, to "make the best of things" and also to stop myself from obsessing about moving to California. If ever I'm in a situation like this again, I learned that I need to be patient and trust that things will work out exactly the way I want them to :) Just kidding. Sort of...

2 comments:

Johanna said...

It is all so fast! I bet it will take some time to really sink in once you're there! I'm excited that this is finally working out for you.

Kainoa said...

Everything has a way of working out dont they! It is fast, but this is perfect before you have Georgianna! I hope I spelled her name right, I will get it I promise! I am so happy for you all!!!!