Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 4

On my way home yesterday, I met my Aunt, who lives just outside of San Francisco. We went to Koreatown in Santa Clara, which is right next to San Jose. We started off at the Han Kook Market and bought lots of yummy Korean and Japanese goodies. They had an awesome pan-chan (Korean Side dishes) self-serve bar. My aunt bought some fish roe, but I forget what it's called in Korean. She asked for "du ge" or two pieces, and the lady put about eight in a plastic bag as she explained in Korean that she should freeze what she doesn't eat right next to the ice cream. Of course, all I understood was "ice cream" and I was like "Did she say 'Ice Cream'???" Thinking that she was saying the fish roe would taste good with ice cream. Oh my, how much I've forgotten. Anyway, it was $25 a pound, so my aunt told her it was too much. So the lady put back a piece or two. It so reminded me of Korea. How they'll just do what they want and your kind of powerless because they do it in such a nice sweet way and they laugh and make conversation and you just end up doing what they want.

My aunt helped me pick out some good pickling cucumbers and I'm going to try to make some oi (cucumber) kim-chi. I bought a huge Korean cookbook when I lived there and I've always wanted to try something out of it, but never have. Now I have the time to actually translate something and then try it out! I hope it turns out well.

We ate lunch at a Korean restaurant and it was fabulous. Then we walked around a little bit.

It's so nice to be around family. I love it! And I'm glad that I'm able to have a little bit of time to spend with my mom and aunt alone.

So, then I headed home. I had the terrible idea of driving through Santa Cruz instead of Gilroy, since I hadn't been that way in a while. There was horrible traffic and what should have been a 1 hour 15 minute drive, ended up being 2 hours. But Shane had perfect timing and called me in the worst of it, so it wasn't so bad.

And now I'm finally home! And let me tell you. It's quiet here. I did a lot of dreaming about this moment. Being home alone with nothing but crafting and organizing to do. So, I'm a little surprised at how uncomfortable it feels for me. I've never been one to *need* people around all the time. But, I guess I've just gotten so used to it.

Well, I was so tired that there was no productivity happening from me last night. I went to bed at 8:30pm. It felt good. Waking up at 5:30am? Not so much. But, I get to take a nap (or two) today, so it's all good.

I'll be spending most of the week setting up the house and sewing.

Okay, so I promise, I will be posting some pictures later today.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Sounds like a fantastic day!!