Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pain in the Back

I think it's official.  This baby is making my back sore.  I mean, really sore.  About two weeks ago, after washing the bathtub, my lower back hurt like heck for about three days.  When I bent over, it felt so weak, as if I'd have to drop to my knees.  I was finally able to sympathize properly with Shane, who has extensive back pain.  Then two days ago, after doing nothing in particular, it started hurting again!  I've tried to confirm that this is a normal pregnancy issue, and it is... for someone carrying a practically full-term baby.  There is talk about how the weight of the baby pulls on the mother and causes bad posture, which in turn causes a sore back.  But, since this baby weighs 5 oz. or so, I'm thinking that's NOT what's going on.  And then there's talk of some hormone that causes relaxing of everything, in preparation for the birth.  Seems a bit early for all this, but since this is the only explanation I'm being offered, I guess I'll take it.  This didn't happen with Caleb and if this continues to happen, it'll seriously affect my jovial mood about being pregnant.  I mean, at some point, I hope to have to pack up the whole apartment and then unpack again.  

Anyway, this is probably TMI, but I really want to complain about it.  Besides, I think it's interesting that this can happen, and maybe you will too.  Something else I'm experiencing is that my b00bs are sure getting a lot bigger with this pregnancy.  And this would normal be a good thing if you have itsy bitsies, like me.  But it really isn't, for me.  Why?  Because I have milk sacs in my underarms.  Both of them.  That's right, you read correctly.  And they've also gotten bigger.  I've never had nice normal underarms, but it wasn't until I had Caleb and they filled up with milk that I understood why.  Not the kind of thing a girl blurts out when her friends are discussing physical features they don't like.  So, my underarms are puffy and ugly and hang down and I won't be able to wear a tank top out in public for about a year and a half (until baby is weened). (They're right in the front underarms part, not directly in the middle. They're easily visible when I'm just standing, with my arms back a little.) So, there.  Don't you love your armpits now?    

2 comments:

Joanna said...

You and your bizarre armpits. How kooky can you get? ;) You're so funny.

Unknown said...

Bizarre!? Don't you mean fascinating? :) Yeah, they're pretty weird, but I guess there are worse things to have to deal with.

BTW, my back stopped hurting after three days again! Which is actually some relief to me. It won't be so bad if I know around when the pain will hurt. Plus, it's a good excuse to lay on the couch and read without feeling guilty :)