Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Best Day EVER!!!

When I was working for money, I used up my days off as I earned them. I couldn't help it, it just worked out that way. And maybe that was just a symptom of me not being all that happy. But Shane? He hordes his PTO like it's nobody's business. One of the reasons why we went to Disney World last September was because he had so much PTO, he was going to start losing it! I've been trying to get him to take a day off for a couple months now because his job has been getting more and more demanding. He regularly works 9 to 10 hours a day and Saturdays every once in a while. Plus, he's been having to ride on my crazy emotional roller coaster due to the California move not working out as planned. I felt like he needed a break. Well, he finally took one yesterday! And he gave me a break too! He and Caleb spent the day together, they had a boy's day. Isn't that too cute? They had breakfast at IHOP (extra orders of bacon, of course) and went to the movies.

It was so amazingly wonderful to have a quiet apartment. Since I didn't have the fabric to finish the Strawberry Lemonade Quilt, I started working on the baby dress that I cut out months ago. It was fun! The neckline and armholes sure were challenging. I like that there is bias tape on the inside though, because it makes things look much neater. But, it was really hard to sew the tape flat. I finally figured out that it worked out better if I didn't pin, and just pulled flat as I sewed. I think they came out okay, but I could definitely use more practice.



I also sewed in a zipper for the first time! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I need to try to be more fearless when it comes to sewing. I hold myself back a lot because I just assume things will be difficult.



I'll be making a matching diaper cover today in the orange fabric.

So, Shane and Caleb came home at around 2:30 p.m. and the first thing Shane says is "I have some bad news." Turns out that Eddie, his contact in California that has been giving him all the leads (and who recently led us a stray on a job that he was too expensive for) called to say there's a last minute opening in Monterey. I roll my eyes and say "Of course!" I said that because the day before we turned in our 30 day notice to our apartment and I had made many calls for appointments to see rental homes. Some other things have been going on that had led to my emotional breakdown earlier in the week and me feeling totally confused about where we should be living and what we should be doing. I'm a big believer in "following the signs" and "trusting my gut". My gut has been telling me we belong in California, but the ways things had been going, I was doubting whether we really did belong in California or I was doing a darn good job of convincing myself of that.

Anyway, I told Shane if they could give you a firm offer in one week, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's just too late in the pregnancy to be pursuing leads anymore. They did better than that. Over the next two hours, Kim, the team lead, called for a phone interview, then Eddie called back to ask if Shane wanted the job (to which he said "Yes!") and the recruiter called to help Shane make arrangements for a meet-and-greet in San Diego this coming Thursday.

And just like that. We're moving to California! In a month! Well, more like three weeks, they want Shane to start on April 20th.

Caleb overheard most of this and figured out that we'd be moving soon. And the incessant questions began. "Can we move in 5 seconds?" "Are we going to see Granny?" "Can we fly on the plane and see Granny?" We both tried to explain that it was going to be a long time (because in Caleb Time, 3 weeks is a really REALLY long time), but he just didn't want to get it. We finally gave up and told him to go play in his room. Five minutes later, he comes out with his suitcase and says "I'm all packed!" and drops his suitcase off at the front door.





Of course, he made sure to pack up some toys :)



I can't stop thinking about how amazing life is sometimes. It's so funny that all the other leads we had drug on for weeks, but the one that goes through happens in a few hours. And the thing I love the best is that we're going back to where it all started. Shane and I started dating while at DLI, in Monterey, almost exactly 11 years ago.

5 comments:

Kainoa said...

Oh I am SO glad you posted this!!!! Caleb looks so adorable all packed up aready to move!! Ever since Derrektold me I have just been beside myself with joy! Iwas jumping up and down inthe pharmacy when Derrek told me at work!!! WHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! This is the BEST day ever! BTW...I love the sweet little dress you made, it is adorable and came out really well! I am sure she will love it!
So do you think you will finish the quilt beofre you move or will you just be so busy packing?!!!

Anonymous said...

I think the fabric really make the dress "too cute for words" and good job with the bias facing. Love the pictures of Caleb. I am so looking forward to seeing him.
Granny Lyn

Joanna said...

Is this a joke?

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the compliments on the dress! It really motivates me to make more! I really can't wait to see how it fits!

And no, this isn't a joke, we are really moving to Monterey! We're going to try to get our stuff picked up for shipping next Thursday or Saturday!! So quick! But, I'm so happy, that I'm not stressed out about it.

The sewing machine will be the last to be packed up, so I hope to get the quilt done before we leave. We made a trip out to Manassas this weekend to pick up our packing boxes, so I had Shane stop off at the quilt shop and I got enough fabric to finish the quilt!

Joanna said...

This is crazy! Now I'm going to have to make a trip out to Monterey. Del and I have talked a bit about going back to walk around and see all the old sights. I am unbelievably happy for you Marie. God's timing is perfect.