Saturday, January 2, 2010

Green Bean Recipe... finally!



Julia Child said that you shouldn't apologize for your cooking... well, at least she did in the movie Julie and Julia. I think that's great advice. So, I won't apologize for taking so long to post this because I had to transfer files off my computer to make room for more pictures. And I won't apologize for missing the great green bean sale and not making a new batch so I could take pictures of the process. So there. I'm not sorry. But. really I am.

So, here it is...

1. Wash 3/4 lb. green beans. Cut ends off.

2. Add the beans to a pot of boiling water. Cover for a moment to bring the water back up to a boil, then uncover and boil beans for 5 minutes. Beans should be almost but not quite tender.

3. Refresh beans in cold water, drain, dry and cut into 1-inch lengths.

4. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil* and 1 Tbsp unsalted butter* in large frying pan (except I used my new dutch oven cause I love my new dutch oven).

5. Add 1 clove crushed garlic and cook a moment.

6. Add the beans and toss with the oil/butter and garlic, then with salt and pepper to taste.

7. Cover and cook slowly for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender.

8. Then uncover, raise heat, and toss with 1/2 cup bread crumbs** to brown and crust the crumbs very lightly.




Eat!

My notes...

*The actual recipe calls for 1.5 pounds of green beans and 3 Tbsp olive oil OR butter. I used both, cause it sounded good. And I'm not sure about the actual amount I used since I just poured the stuff in the pot a la Rachel Ray

**Also, I didn't have bread crumbs so I used brown rice flour instead. I didn't measure it, I just sprinkled some on until it looked good. I wonder if this is a better allergy-agreeable alternative for you Johanna...


I think the Pioneer Woman has set a high standard for posting recipes online because I can't help but feel like anything less will be a bit of a disappointment. But, really! How does she take such great pictures??


The actual ingredient list is as follows..

1.5 lbs. fresh green beans
3 Tb good olive oil (or butter)
1 large clove of garlic, pureed or very finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup fresh white bread crumbs

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised by the brown rice flour. Yes! I love new gluten free receipes. Thanks. Mom

Johanna said...

Yum, yum, yum! It looks great! And yes, the brown rice flour is a much better alternative for me. I cannot use bread crumbs. I cannot wait to try this. I even have fresh green beans in the house! Yea!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!!!!