Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Some Happy Finds

I've been stalking craigslist lately. We almost bought a piano for $100. But, we couldn't figure out how to move it because it was huge. And then we went to look at a more reasonably-sized piano for $400, but the guy stood us up. I wasn't about to pay that much anyway though, so it's just as well. I really don't want to pay over $200, since I know I don't have to if I'm patient enough.

But, I did get this chair for $40. I love it! The fabric is faded and there is some staining though. I tried to clean it up best I could yesterday but I think I'll ask the carpet cleaner guy how much he'll charge to clean it.

I plan to put it in the foyer right when you walk into the house. I've decided that since it's such a sunny area, I wanted a beautiful chair to sit in and read. I'll take another picture once we get it into the house.



I also got this mirror for $20! I really don't know where I'm going to put it and Shane can't stop rolling his eyes at me for buying it. But, it was only $20!



I haven't been able to stop thinking about the article "Superneutrals" in the May 2010 issue of Martha Stewart Living. In our Manassas townhouse, we put a lot of color on the walls. We had a yellow bathroom, green bathroom, blue bedroom, beigey-rose dining room, yellow kitchen, etc. I think I felt that the house needed color to make up for it's lack of character. But, our new house has lots of character and I know that it does not need walls full of bright colors.

So, when I saw these photos in MS Living, I thought they were brilliant ideas for our house! I love that the walls are neutral and the color is added with the accents.



So, when I saw the $20 mirror on craigslist, I thought of this bathroom photo. I love the grey walls and the salmon mirror. So, eventually, I hope to paint the mirror. We already have way too many brown wood pieces.



And I certainly wouldn't be scared of painting my mirror since it didn't cost much. The mirror they used in the photo above cost $895!! Can you imagine spending that much on a mirror and then painting it??? I could never!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

$895!!!!! I could NEVER spend that much on a mirror, much less one that I was going paint. I like your ideas and finds though. I can't wait to see them in your house!!

Rebecca Facas said...

Sounds like your super excited about the house! The best part of moving is getting to re-decorate!!! Post some pictures once you get in!

I'm in the middle of painting our dated kitchen. Coming soon will be a kitchen with teal cabinets, white (or almost white) walls. All having teal, white and black accents! I'm super excited and hope it turns out good! I'm using antique milk glass for all my acc's (like our butter dish, vase, sugar thingy etc.)